[CLUE-Tech] I need a Linux Firewall

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Jul 3 11:08:48 MDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 04:38, Rich Whitaker wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I'm setting up a few servers in a new co-location.  Can anyone recommend
> a good Linux firewall solution?  We are trying to cut costs, so I
> thought I would see what is out there before I go buy something horribly
> expensive.

A $300 PC with KRUD installed makes a great firewall.  I use it from
home that way.  However, it doesn't have (that I know of) a graphical
configuration tool for the firewall except during installation.  It
might have one to modify the firewall while its running, I just don't
know about it.  I configure everything manually using ipchains.

If you can comprehend managing the ipchains you can do it yourself.

I just did a quick Google for "Linux Firewall" and found this site that
might help you:

http://www.linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/

Looks like there might be something you could use called "fwbuilder",
which has a GUI to manage your configuration.

Hope that helps a little.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com