[CLUE-Tech] Sendmail on a local network

Keith Christian keithchristian at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 10:45:04 MDT 2003

I need some help finding what to check/test in Sendmail so that I can have it
communicate with a MS SMTP server on Windows 2000.

The scenario and observations:

1. This is a local class C network, not connected to the internet.  Mostly
composed of Windows NT and Windows 2000 servers.

2. I'm supporting a web team that is trying to get java mail working from a
web form, sending mail to the MS SMTP server.  They're having trouble getting
the MS server to receive the email.

3. There is RedHat 8.0 machine with a default Sendmail configuration that I
have suggested they use as the mail host, primarily because debugging the
problems should be easier on the RedHat machine.  My impression is that there
will be better debugging info from Sendmail than from MS SMTP, but I could be
wrong.

4. Here is a contorted list of what works:

A. Works: Email to a user on the Windows 2000 machine from the Mozilla email
client on the RedHat machine, addressed as
"user at winserver01.internalnetwork.com"

B. Works: Sending mail from the command line from one local user to another on
the RedHat machine, e.g. mail -s "Hello" user at linuxdev01.internalnetwork.com <
/dev/null

C. Doesn't work: Sending mail from the command line to a user on the Windows
2000 machine, addressed to "user at 192.168.1.39".

Questions:
Q1: Why doesn't sendmail like an IP address in the destination and prefer a
hostname instead?

Q2: Why would Mozilla mail (on the Linux machine) work to send to the MS SMTP
on the Windows machine but the "mail" command line fail?

I've already searched on Google and Google Groups without success in finding
my specific scenario.

Thanks for any ideas.

====Keith