[CLUE-Tech] Red Hat up2date

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Wed Jul 16 08:33:12 MDT 2003

To be fair to Red Hat, I haven't really had a problem with recent
versions of up2date.  I caveat that by saying that I've only got two
RH9 servers, neither of which have X on them.  So I use the command-line
up2date, and it just seems to work.

After yesterday's discussion (Linux for Mom), I took a look at a friend's
Ximian Desktop install.  I have to say, I'm really quite impressed.
Up until then I hadn't really seen the value in paying for Gnome,
but Ximian have really brought a lot of "value-added" to the desktop.

One of the niftier features (and the one that keeps me semi-on-topic)
is that you can update your system through Ximian's Red Carpet updater.
I'm not sure if it's pulling from Red Hat, using his existing RHN
account, or even if it's running up2date in the background, but it's
pretty nice to be able to update Ximian and the desktop at the same time.
This may not be a big deal to this crowd, but it's a feature I'm sure
"Linux moms" will appreciate.  I think Red Hat would go a long way towards
capturing the desktop by hooking up with Ximian.

I'm still evaluating mom's next upgrade, but Ximian on RH9 have moved
pretty far up the list now.

-k