[CLUE-Tech] GPL loopholes

Angelo Bertolli angelo at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Jul 16 12:05:42 MDT 2003

> "Infomation yearns to be free" - true, but, freedom costs money to someone.
> I'm sure the Libranet guys will share the code they used - however, it is
> completely unfair to cause that be a financial strain in them.  Think about
> it, they downloaded that code in the first place, using bandwidth that they
> paid for - saved it to a hard drive that they paid for - burned/mastered it
> to a CD they paid for - and you want to force them to go through all this
> expanse, however small, and be forced to give it to you free?  Flatly, the
> economics don't work here at all.  If that was a requirement of the GPL, no
> one would bother.  The statement that the code must be provided "at a
> reasonable cost" is an acceptance by the architects of the GPL that this
> movement of data costs money

No, I don't want to force them.  I just think it would be the "right
thing to do" on their own.  Or at least have a link on their site that
says, "we'll send you a copy of the source code at cost."  Of course
they don't HAVE to do this.

But I guess I should be glad about this because one day maybe I will be
in the position where I'd like to make money under the GPL and not have
to have another job.

Angelo