[CLUE-Tech] spam issues continued

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Wed Jul 16 19:27:52 MDT 2003

Both very good suggestions.  I have definitely been pondering the social
engineering aspect of this all day - imagining what I would do if I had
this address, and many ideas do come to mind.  I'm trying to think of a
good excuse to get the real address and/or phone number from the PO Box by
sending something to it, it just has to be something very believable.

But back to the main problem I'm having here - is spammers find out that
by simply forging the from section of mail headers and easily defeat
SpamAssassin, everyone who uses it is in big trouble, and it will be
completely worthless in a matter of weeks.  Over the last 24 hours the
spam this one company has been sending me has evolved drastically.  It
first started out coming from some made-up user @fimble.com.  If I had the
know-how, I could have my server check to see if the account really exists
before sending the mail. (Any good sendmail/procmail programmers feel free
to correct me if I'm wrong).  But now, instead of it coming from a bogus
user, it's actually just coming from my own account, so the from and to
portions match.  I can exactly blacklist my own email address in SA, that
would be a problem.  So maybe there would be a way to only accept mail if
it was from my account with my name in front of it?  I don't know, I'm
just throwing out ideas here because I'm still learning about all this
anti-spam stuff.