[CLUE-Tech] Trademark - To be continued on CLUE-TALK???

Gary Threlkeld gthrelk at comcast.net
Wed Jul 16 15:29:11 MDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Angelo Bertolli" <angelo at sdf.lonestar.org>
To: <clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 11:53 AM
Subject: [CLUE-Tech] Trademark

> > There is a legal aspect here as well.  Red Hat has their name/logo
> > trademarked.  U.S. trademark law stipulates that if you *do not* make
> > efforts to defend and protect your trademark (i.e. defending against
> > dilution, theft, inappropriate use, use by other parties with proper
> > attribution, etc into a large legal mire), you *can not* have the
privileges
> > of a trademark.  So, they have to go down this road if they want legal
> > protection from someone else calling their distro "RedHat".  May not
seem
> > nice, but, that's the way the law reads. IANAL, but, my best
recollection.

> More specifically, I mean what about the fact that a RH distro comes up
> with "Red Hat" on the login screen?  Isn't it still legal to make copies
> under the GPL?
>
> Angelo

OK, I'll admit it!  I'm not too Internet Mail savy.  I was forced to look up
Angelo's last post abbreviation - "IANAL".  Initially looked like something
I didn't even want to know.  But(t), based upon the link that I found it
looks
like a guy has to go to Harvard to get the full education :)

Guess this should really be posted on the CLUE-Talk board but for those
like me that have trouble with all the abbreviations:  Here's
the link.

           http://acro.harvard.edu/GEI/smileys.html

Not intented to be a flame, Angelo!  Please don't take offense.  I was just
lost

Gary T.