[CLUE-Tech] Hyperterminal, minicom, and SSH

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Jul 17 11:00:41 MDT 2003

Kevin Cullis wrote:
[...]
> This is where I was getting dicey.  So, it's serial PLUS network.  I'm
> so use to network that serial is really not in my thinking/vocabulary.
>
> So, I can make a PPP network connection to the Internet and use minicom
> to access, via it's logon and password stuff, the "command line stuff"
> of MLS, right? This is my impression of what my wife has since she uses
> Hyperterminal both at work (network) and at home (dialup).

Well.  Minicom does *not* do TCP/IP, so it is no use if you want to do
something over the network.  If your wife uses Hyperterm at work, over a
network, then it is doing telnet.  As Frank says, Hyperterm will do
TCP/IP and telnet doesn't automatically mean port 23.

Here's the question, I guess.  How do you identify the server?  If you
have an IP address (or a host name that DNS can look up for you) then
you want telnet.  If you have a phone number then you want minicom.
This from a Linux perspective where it's one or the other.

There's more to it than that but being relevant without better details
on MLS is hard.