[CLUE-Tech] Hyperterminal, Minicom, and/or Lynx using TCP/IP?

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Thu Jul 17 21:26:21 MDT 2003

Dave,

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 11:09, David Anselmi wrote:
> Kevin Cullis wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Dave and Frank gave me some good info regarding MS's Hyperterminal and
> > Linux and I got the info from MLS regarding accessing the "command line"
> > of their info using Hyperterminal. So, here the info:
> >
> > TCP/IP
> > Host Name: xxxx.metrolist.com Port ???
> > VT100 emulation
> >
> > I've glanced at Lynx to see if it can work and it may and minicom usest
> > the modem only, does anyone else have other suggestions that I can use
> > the TCP/IP part to connect using Linux instead of MS Hyperterminal?
> >
> > Am I heading in the right direction using Lynx?
>
> You just answered a question I asked.  From Linux you don't want minicom
> since you're connecting to an IP address.
>
> You can probably use telnet, it is most similar to hyperterm over
> TCP/IP.  You can use lynx with telnet://xxxx.metrolist.com (and probably
> add :<port> if the server isn't at port 23).  I'm not sure what lynx
> would do that telnet wouldn't -- lynx is primarily a web browser so it
> talks http and displays html (but using telnet:// makes it like a telnet
> client).

When it comes to the command line stuff (but shes working on it
;-) )

Lynx worked great "out of the box" so I'll be checking out telnet in the
next couple of days.  I'll let everyone know how it works so that
everyone can tell their real estate agent/broker that Linux can work for
them.

Talk at you later and thanks for all of the help.

Kevin