[CLUE-Tech] GPL loopholes

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Fri Jul 18 20:23:57 MDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 01:56:05PM -0600, Joe Linux wrote:
> Kirk Rafferty wrote:
> >Actually, you've never been "forced" to register with Red Hat.  Their
> >installer strongly encouraged it, but just hitting cancel works nicely.
>
> Not true.  I did hit "cancel" and RH worked for about ywo weeks or so
> and then anytime I tried to launch their half baked control panel it
> would just open up the Internet Dialer instead with some sort of message
> that indicated that I had not registered.

Yes, if you run up2date (the "half-baked control panel" of which you speak :)
without registering, it will complain that you're not registered.

But you're not forced to register, you just can't use RHN without
registering.  You can still use and update your system manually by going
to updates.redhat.com and downloading the apropriate RPMs.

-k