[CLUE-Tech] Hacker question

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at itec-co.com
Thu Jul 31 17:49:59 MDT 2003

A couple of wild guesses to look at here.

- What does "last" show you on the box (might want to
  cut and paste this to the list for more input)?  Might
  have an IP addy that is unusual for tracing purposes.

- Do you have ssh1 disabled and only ssh2?

- Is there a (from memory here) in /root/.ssh a "key_athorize2"
  (might have the spelling wrong on the file) that has a current
  date?  Could indicate that a new key is placed there by your visitor.

The latter two are an interesting access issue with ssh2 that I
know of (again, not in front of a Linux machine at the moment for
the correct file name there).  This allows a remote root user access
without root password, just via the ssh key.

Might want to look up a few tools on SourceForge for the hacking
end, then think about Bastille and/or SE Linux for hardening things.

HTH.

--- Crawford