[CLUE-Tech] CD burning - the devil is in the defaults

Dennis J Perkins djperkins at americanisp.net
Mon Jun 2 06:36:47 MDT 2003

Hmm, I would have thought that would improve things, but I do seem to recall
that Linus had turned off DMA for IDE by default because some support chips
couldn't handle it properly.

My problem was that the media quality. and possibly the CD-burners too, suffer
greatly in quality.  My first attempts could only be read by the machine that
burned them.  The black disks worked on everything but DVD readers.  In talking
to others, I know this problem is widespread.  My sister's employer had to test
a number of brands and standardized on one that works for them.