[CLUE-Tech] exporting linux display to a different system

Ski Dawg skidawg at smcorwine.com
Mon Jun 2 17:49:56 MDT 2003

I am trying to send the X-Windows display from one linux system to
another. For sake of the explanation, I will call the system where I
want to view X on sys1 and the remote system sys2. All typed commands
are quoted for clarity, but entered in the console sans quotes.

Here are the steps that I have done:
1) On sys1, I type "xhost +"
2) From sys1, ssh into sys2
3) On sys2, type "export DISPLAY=sys1:0"
4) On sys2, try to run "xeyes" to test it.
5) I get the error: "Error: Can't open display: sys1:0"

Both systems are RH9, running XFree86 4.3.0-2. Also, both machines are
configured with static ip addresses and are listed in each other's
/etc/hosts file. Exporting to the system name or the ip address doesn't
make a difference. X11Forwarding is set to "yes" on sys2 in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config.

Does anyone have any thoughts about why this is happening and how to fix
it? I have tried googling for the answer, but haven't come up with
anything yet.

--
Doug