[CLUE-Tech] DHCP and DNS and Intro

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Tue Jun 10 05:46:29 MDT 2003

Michael Riversong <mriversong at earthlink.net> writes:

> At the moment we are using Red Hat 7.3 on two machines, Corel 1.0 on
> two, and Red Hat 6.1 on a remote machine i've set up in another
> building.  Since we have to work exclusively on donated equipment,
> it's been necessary to work with older distributions at times.
> Nothing is networked yet, as we await a donation of cabling and
> routers.  And i'm always on the lookout for educational programs that
> can be installed on our machines.

I cannot attest to its use on old hardware, but Knoppix is a very
nice.  It does come with several "educational" programs (including
kstars, an astronomy program).  Anyhow, once Knoppix is setup, it is
just Debian under the hood, which makes for rather easy administration
(though networking would almost be a must).  Personally, I have run
Knoppix on 166MHz Pentiums without to much problems.  Having lots of
ram is the key to getting a smooth running Linux box.

-Dale