UNSUBSCRIBE YOURSELF, was [CLUE-Tech] Please Unsubscribe

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Jun 10 10:22:10 MDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 10:40, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> What, because it's a Linux list we have to bend over backwards for
> people who are too damn lazy to follow instructions?

Maybe you should bend over backwards because its a nice thing to do?  We
are, after all, talking about a simple unsubscribe request.  Annoying,
maybe.  Difficult to honor, not really.  And really not worth all this
fuss, I think.

> It's one thing if
> he'd tried to unsubscribe and there was an error -- but just being too
> damn lazy?

Hate him for his laziness if you like.  But geez, Zonk.  You're getting
pretty riled for something pretty simple.

> I've got news for you, very few mailing lists are tolerant of this kind
> of crap. This is netiquette 101 -- if you opt-in to a mailing list, you
> take the responsibility to opt back out. If you can't be bothered, maybe
> you don't belong online.

Is this the attitude you take in your articles for Linux Magazine - "if
you're too lazy to figure this out then don't bother reading my
article"?  Are you writing for the technically savvy crowd or the
unwashed masses?  If the latter, I hope this isn't the attitude you
start with.

It's been awhile, but this doesn't sound like the Zonk I used to know.
Relax, dude.  Just unsubscribe the guy and be done with it.  If you
don't have the admin access to do so, then I really have to ask "Why
does this bother you so much?"

> If this is a CIO, they'd go with Windows because Linux would seem too
> hard anyway...if they can't handle a simple Webpage to unsubscribe from
> a mailing list, they're not a prime candidate for Linux either.

This is the old Unix attitude.  Welcome to the club Zonk.  It will do
little, however, to expand the appeal of Linux.

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |  I don't have an attitude problem.  You have a