[CLUE-Tech] Re: UNSUBSCRIBE YOURSELF

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue Jun 10 17:05:40 MDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:22:51PM -0600, Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> The only problem with this is that we don't want it to be a policy that
> sending unsubscribe messages to the list will get you taken off the
> list.  If people figure out that saying "unsubscribe me" doesn't work,
> then they won't do it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work that way. I have seen the
following sequence of events happen on several mailing lists, enough
times to know it is not a fluke:

   1. "Unsubscribe" message from John Doe appears.
   2. 3 or 4 people respond. 2 are nasty, one is businesslike, another
      kindly explains how to unsubscribe and why it's done that way (and
      changes the subject to "How to unsubscribe."
   3. 20 or 30 minutes later, an "unsubscribe" message from Jane Roe
      appears.

I won't try to explain this, but it happens. On some lists, I've seen it
two or three times in a single day. Fortunately for us, this is a rare
event on the CLUE lists.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.