[CLUE-Tech] Win4Lin vs. CrossOver vs. VMWare

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Thu Jun 12 17:19:35 MDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 13:52, Hani Duwaik wrote:
> Everyone had some very useful advice regarding this subject.  Based on
> those responses, I have a second (follow-up) question:
>
> I know that CrossOver uses wine to run Winapps which allows it to run
> in almost the same environment as the linux operating system.
>
> I know that VMWare creates a protected environment that creates its own
> connections to various devices and, in essence, runs almost independent
> of the existing linux session.
>
> I have no idea how Win4Lin works.
>
> In this respect, CrossOver seems to be more flexible to the changes in
> the system (ie: as memory changes, CrossOver accomodates) while VMWare
> is less flexible (memory usuage is fixed).

Actually, you can change the amount of memory given to a virtual
machine. It doesn't happen dynamically, but it's trivial to change the
amount of RAM given to your VMs.

> My question then is what everyone else thinks about this (is
> integrating WinApps with the linux session better or is VMWare's method
> of separation preferred)?

I've tried CrossOver, and I think a lot of the folks at CodeWeavers, but
I think VMware is probably the best solution if you need to run a wide
variety of apps. If you're just running Office, then go with CodeWeavers
-- especially if your usage is relatively light.

Good luck...

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier