[CLUE-Tech] Linux for publishing and the masses

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Fri Jun 13 07:16:45 MDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 06:58, Jed S. Baer wrote:

*snip*

> I'm certainly no expert, and I haven't spent much time with it, but I've
> tried Sodipodi, and found it wanting. As perhaps a commentary on the
> general state of Linux SVG programs, note that files such as
> /usr/share/gdm/themes/happygnome/background.svg were created in Adobe
> Illustrator. Since SVG is an XML format, you can open these files in a
> text editor, and note the MS-DOS line-end style as well. I attempted to
> manipulate that file in Sodipodi. I was not successful. But will point out
> that graphics programs generally have steeper learning curves, so my
> experience is perhaps not informative. But I found Sodipodi frustrating.

What about creating graphics from scratch?

Is the MS-DOS thing from the Illustrator files, or Sodipodi?

Sodipodi is a relatively young program... I think it's at version 0.31,
so it still has some maturing to do... Looks more promising than the
other Illustrator-type apps that I've seen, though. If it gets the same
kind of developer attention that the Gimp had, it could be pretty
formidible in a short time... I hope, anyway. I'm tired of saying "Linux
can do all this...but it can't do this..." An Illustrator and
PageMaker/QuarkXPress substitute would do a LOT for Linux.

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
jzb at dissociatedpress.net