[CLUE-Tech] Poor Man's Ghost /system repair

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Jun 14 17:02:06 MDT 2003

On 14 Jun 2003 10:20:28 -0600
David Willson <DLWillson at TheGeek.NU> wrote:

> I think there's been some misunderstanding here.  I have not yet booted
> a system with KNOPPIX and not been able to manipulate the files on the
> hard drive.  Sometimes I have to do some gyrations to get there, but I
> can always get in, except in the case of a hardware failure.
>
> Who is Joe Linux, and what's the actual problem?  (Can I do an
> anti-alias rant here?)

Yeah, whadda people think this is here? Usenet!? ;-)

He did the June 2002 KISS session on IceWM. See
http://clue.denver.co.us/presentations.html

But I think this was the original question:

>>Do you know who to use the Knoppix CD to manage your existing "root"
>>file system.  I would like to do this with a graphical file manager,
>>but I can't seem to get it to work.  I have tried <ALT>+<F2> and
>>typing in a root pass word, and then  switching back and launching
>>kdesu konqueror, but I still can't write to my existing systems "root"
>>files.

It sounds like he's running into the standard Knoppix practice of mounting
existing filesystems readonly, for safety. The solution then, would be to
use the context menu to remount the filesystem read-write. I don't know if
this is what Match was talking about when he mentioned the "crippled" root
account.

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl