[CLUE-Tech] Linux for publishing and the masses

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Jun 14 17:25:43 MDT 2003

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 16:57:23 -0600
"Timothy C. Klein" <teece at silverklein.net> wrote:

> I'm confused.  I thought SVG was just a general vector graphics format.
> Can you tell that an SVG was made with Illustrator, and that is your
> beef?  Or is there something wrong with the SVG format in general?

It's a philosophical beef. Think about it. Here's a possible FUD quote:
"If Free Software is so great, why are even the developers using Adobe,
instead of [insert any OS/Free graphics proggie]." Wouldn't the Linux
crowd just be crowing if we found out that Bill Gates used  OpenOffice
regularly on his home machine?

I know of nothing wrong with the SVG format. I don't even know how it's
licensed, copyrighted, or patented, or whatever.

Yes, you can tell. Since SVG files are XML, you just open it in your
favourite text editor, such as Vim (of course), and read:

<!-- Generator: Adobe Illustrator 9.0, SVG Export Plug-In  -->^M

The control-M at the end tells me it's using DOS style line breaks.

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl