[CLUE-Tech] "PTY problems" or "I'm an Idiot"

Chris Terry tuba_man at attbi.com
Mon Jun 16 12:34:07 MDT 2003

David Anselmi wrote:

> Chris Terry wrote:

*snip*
complain
*snip

> Linux virtual consoles (ALT-F[1-x]) use /dev/ttyx, not a pseudo
> terminal.  So that is irrelevant to your problem.
> It might help to have the exact error message.  Here are some guesses:
> If any of your PTY stuff is compiled as a module, is the module
> getting loaded?
> Do you have /dev/pts, /dev/ptmx, or /dev/pty?? created?  Do you have
> /dev/pts mounted as a devpts filesystem (Debian has a boot script for
> this)?
> Perhaps this helps:
> http://www.patoche.org/LTT/kernel/00000172.html
>
> Dave

I'm sorry, I guess I was a little inspecific.  I meant to say that the
virtual consoles were working perfectly, but things like xterm and
remote connections weren't.  When I use putty from my windows box I get
"Remote server unable to allocate psuedo terminal."  and from
multi-gnome-terminal I get "Couldn't allocate PTY.  Is your system
configured for Unix98 PTY support?"
I've got all the /dev stuff in there, and devpts is mounted at boot.
I'll try out the link when I get to my linux box and let you know.