[CLUE-Tech] RedHat 9 and Dell Docking station

Don Collier dcollier at collierclan.com
Tue Jun 17 13:41:01 MDT 2003

My laptop is a Dell Latitude C840 with the slide in port replicator.

Here is the /proc/pci for the Video

Bus  1, device   0, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go]
(rev 163).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=5.Max Lat=1.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfc000000 [0xfcffffff].
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe7ffffff].
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xdff80000 [0xdfffffff].

Here are some snips from XF86Config

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Dell 1600x1200 Laptop Display Panel"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
        VertRefresh  59.0 - 85.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     16
                Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960"
"1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

There were no errors or warnings in the /var/log/XFree86.0.log
The monitor is set to my laptop display now, but I had tried it with
several of the "generic monitor" settings trying to get it to work.  I
also tried leaving my laptop in the docking station and taking the monitor
off and that worked fine.  I also tried 3 different monitors laying around
the office and all failed to display anything in X.

I noticed that in the XF86Config file it refers to Videocard0.  Should
there be a Videocard1 as well?

What about any power saving options?  Are there any that I should disable?

I appreciate the response.  Thanks.
Don Collier
dcollier at collierclan.com