[CLUE-Tech] Gateway 400SP notebook/ 2.5.72 kernel

Dan Harris coronadh at coronasolutions.com
Thu Jun 19 12:06:33 MDT 2003

I just got my shiny new Gateway 400SP ( 2.2GHZ Celeron, 512MB, 40gig).
It was too good of a deal to pass up.

After toying with this sucker the better part of the dark hours, I'm
still stuck trying to get X to run.  It looks like it has some
bleeding-edge chipset that nobody seems to know.  Seems like I always
get stumped on bleeding-edge stuff.

So, to troubleshoot, I thought I'd start with lspci.  lspci reports that
it's an Intel VGA Unknown device.  Google couldn't find me anything
about the chipset for my exact model.  I tried kernel 2.4.20 and 2.4.21
hoping that someone had included support for it.  No luck...

So... I thought what the heck, new machine, nothing sacred on it yet.
Maybe try the latest 2.5 kernel and see if it's in there.  I waded
through the new menuconfig and thought I had something workable.
Compiled ok, rebooted, and the new kernel just won't boot.  It says
just hangs.  I know this could be pretty much anything, but maybe
someone else has messed with 2.5.72 and might point me to something
'obvious' that I might have missed?  First thought was the wrong CPU
architecture.  That appears to be correct ( unless the mobile celeron
needs somthing other than Pentium 3 or Pentium 4, I tried both).

Sorry it's so vague but I'm running out of options before I have to put
in the crappy restore CD and reload WinXP (icky).

Thanks,
Dan