[CLUE-Tech] Gateway 400SP notebook/ 2.5.72 kernel

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Jun 19 12:49:30 MDT 2003

Dan Harris wrote:
> I just got my shiny new Gateway 400SP ( 2.2GHZ Celeron, 512MB, 40gig).
> It was too good of a deal to pass up.
>
> After toying with this sucker the better part of the dark hours, I'm
> still stuck trying to get X to run.  It looks like it has some
> bleeding-edge chipset that nobody seems to know.  Seems like I always
> get stumped on bleeding-edge stuff.
>
> So, to troubleshoot, I thought I'd start with lspci.  lspci reports that
> it's an Intel VGA Unknown device.  Google couldn't find me anything
> about the chipset for my exact model.  I tried kernel 2.4.20 and 2.4.21
> hoping that someone had included support for it.  No luck...

My advice is don't bother with 2.5 kernels.  Gateway's site isn't any
better than lspci (I think that's very funny).

But Intel's site makes me think you have an Intel 852 (GM rather than
GME).  So the XFree86 site says you want the i810 driver (xfree 4.3.0)
and kernel support for AGP GART.  Give that a try.

I don't have a box with X handy to tell you how to get that driver, but
ask if you need to.