[CLUE-Tech] 9iR2 dbca causing SIGSEGV 11* segmentation violation on RH9

NTallo at aol.com NTallo at aol.com
Thu Jun 19 21:55:42 MDT 2003

All,

Please bear with this thread - I have responded to the group just in case
someone can learn from this.  The problem has been solved...

Matt/Jeff,

I appreciate all of your help...

The "java -version" and "ldd /{path_to_java}/bin/java" commands did not
return anything and I do not have a $JAVA_HOME.  So....best I can tell I did not
install any version of Java with the default Linux install, but Oracle did
install the JDK and JRE - two versions 1.1.8 and 1.1.3.  Therefore, I am assuming
that Oracle uses its own version of the JRE since the script it is executing is
UNSETting the $JAVA_HOME - shocking that Oracle does not want to play nice
with any version of Java - but that is Larry Ellison for you...

What I found was that dbca script points to the JRE 1.1.8 (which is default)
I get the SEGSEGV error.  But I just now pointed to the JRE 1.1.3 and the dbca
execution worked. - I chose to do this based on the education each of you
provided in the previous emails.

Going forward - I will download the latest JDK and JRE from Sun and install
them to hopefully avoid any future problems and ensure that I have a version of
Java to run with.

Jeff -

To answer your question on the glibc problems:

My initial glibc problem was related to the Red Hat 9 downloaded version
glibc-2.3.2-11.9 - which is not compatible with Oracle 9i R2

So I downgraded to:

glibc-2.3.2-5.i686.rpm
glibc-common-2.3.2-5.i386.rpm
glibc-devel-2.3.2-5.i386.rpm

Which would have worked fine but my computer is too old for the glibc i686
version, so I needed to load the i386 package which worked around that problem
and allowed the Oracle Installer to run.

Thanks a bunch for all of your help.  I really appreciate it.