[CLUE-Tech] bind madness

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Fri Jun 20 12:19:18 MDT 2003

Alright, I'm going crazy here - I have 3 dns servers, all running bind
9.2.1-X.  I have a zone file that's master server is an ip like this:

10.0.0.11

The serial number used to be some outrageously high number, like
275638326327.  The old admin here gave it that high of a number, and I
don't know why.  So, I shrank it down to 80... and I did this by
stopping bind on all 3 servers, and setting it the same on all of them,
and then restarting bind.  I then made an update to the 10.0.0.11 server
with that zone file.  I updated the serial number to 81, and restarted
bind there first, and then next on the other servers.  The problem I'm
now having is that I see this in my logs on the slave servers:

Jun 20 12:00:08 fimble named[23817]: zone somedomain.com/IN: sending
notifies (serial 80)
Jun 20 12:00:09 fimble named[23817]: zone somedomain.com/IN: transfered
serial 275638326327
Jun 20 12:00:09 fimble named[23817]: transfer of 'somedomain.com/IN'
from 10.0.0.11#53: end of transfer
Jun 20 12:00:09 fimble named[23817]: zone somedomain.com/IN: sending
notifies (serial 275638326327)

What gives? Is there some kind of cache somewhere, and keeps old serials in a database somewhere that I'm unaware of??  I would think that since I updated all 3 servers, that the serial number 275638326327 should not exist anymore.

--

                                -Mike Staver
                                 staver at fimble.com
                                 mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com