[CLUE-Tech] bind madness

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Fri Jun 20 13:20:31 MDT 2003

> Alright, I'm going crazy here - I have 3 dns servers, all running
> bind 9.2.1-X.  I have a zone file that's master server is an ip
> like this:
>
> 10.0.0.11
>
> The serial number used to be some outrageously high number, like
> 275638326327.  The old admin here gave it that high of a number,
> and I don't know why.  So, I shrank it down to 80... and I did
> this by stopping bind on all 3 servers, and setting it the same
> on all of them, and then restarting bind.  I then made an update
> to the 10.0.0.11 server with that zone file.  I updated the
> serial number to 81, and restarted bind there first, and then next
> on the other servers.  The problem I'm now having is that I see
> this in my logs on the slave servers:
>
> Jun 20 12:00:08 fimble named[23817]: zone somedomain.com/IN: sending
> notifies (serial 80)
> Jun 20 12:00:09 fimble named[23817]: zone somedomain.com/IN:
> transfered
> serial 275638326327
> Jun 20 12:00:09 fimble named[23817]: transfer of 'somedomain.com/IN'
> from 10.0.0.11#53: end of transfer
> Jun 20 12:00:09 fimble named[23817]: zone somedomain.com/IN: sending
> notifies (serial 275638326327)
>
> What gives? Is there some kind of cache somewhere, and keeps old
> serials in a database somewhere that I'm unaware of??  I would
> think that since I updated all 3 servers, that the serial number
> 275638326327 should not exist anymore.

I'm not familiar with the current versions 9.x of bind, but I seem to
recall that bind 8.x required the serial numbers could only be 32-bit
unsigned integers with a maximum value of 4,294,967,295.

That doesn't address your question of why the numbers are reverting
back, but does clue you in on why the previous admin started with such
a "outrageously high number."

I recommend taking a look at O'Reilly's DNS and BIND, 4th Edition

   http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/

I found the 3rd Edition indespensible when I tackled bind.

HTH
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy