[CLUE-Tech] bind problem revisited

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Fri Jun 27 17:05:15 MDT 2003

Anyone remember my issue last week with bind not reloading the zone file
without a complete reboot of the machine?  Problem has been identified
today - sometimes, and only sometimes, when I run:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart

I will get this:

Stopping named: [  FAILED  ]
Starting named: [  OK  ]

However, if I immediately run that command again, I'll see:

Stopping named: [  OK  ]
Starting named: [  OK  ]

That makes me think it's back to normal, but it turns out that a named process is still left running, even after I restart it the second time.  I'm not sure why I'm getting this, but I do know that it is now the cause of named to not completely get out of memory, thus the reason that the old zone serial numbers are being transferred rather than my updated ones.

--

                                -Mike Staver
                                 staver at fimble.com
                                 mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com