[CLUE-Tech] KDS Rad7c flat panel as monitor with RH 8.0 ?

jose alvistur tbariww at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 1 09:45:10 MST 2003

I have a KDS Rad7c 17inch flat panel (1280x1024 capable) monitor which works OK with win98 in my dual-boot system.

However, it does not seem to work for linux.

When I installed RH 8.0, the installation program was visible and worked OK.  But upon reboot, grub could not be seen.  I reinstalled, choosing lilo this time.  Same result.

I thought it could be just a lilo or grub thing.  So, I tried using an old dumb Dell monitor, and was able to look at the grub screen.  Then, I swapped monitors, and rebooted.  Once I got the blank screen on the KDS, I just typed blindly to select linux instead of win98.

I expected (or better said hoped) that then linux itself would initialize the graphics interface properly.   Nope.  Instead of a linux prompt, or X, I just got a blank bluish screen again.  ( i wanted to scream :)

I have tried this pantomime selection 'generic monitor' and again with 'flatpanel LCD at 1024x768' and '1280x1024' in the RH 8.0 installation.  No change.

so, is this a windows-only monitor ?   -- thanks for any insights.