Gentoo patches [was Re: [CLUE-Tech] Escape from RH 8.0]

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Mar 2 22:40:52 MST 2003

Collins wrote:
[...]
> My brief experiance with Debian led me to believe that the bootscripts and
> placement of files in /etc were much more difficult to understand with Debian
> than either RH or gentoo.  I could never seem to figure out how it all worked
> on Debian.

The files in /etc are either config files for standard software or
system config files used by the boot scripts.  For the first it ought to
be reasonably obvious and for the second I read the boot scripts to see
how they do things and that points out what is where in /etc.  I've done
the same (in less depth) with Red Hat.

With Debian, once I've figured out where the conf file is I'm usually
done.  With Red Hat I haven't learned anything about their whizbang
configurator.  I expect I'll learn some Red Hat (starting next week for
a class, actually) because of their market share.  I won't like the
tools they provide that get in my way, but they've adopted the "know
nothing" sysadmin model of Windows.  "Want to run samba?  Don't bother
learning about netbios and wins, just point and click."

But I digress.