[CLUE-Tech] Escape from RH 8.0

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Mar 2 23:09:48 MST 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:58:08 -0700
Collins <erichey2 at attbi.com> wrote:

> > The biggest barrier to switching to something like Debian or SuSe
> > though, is simple familiarity, and the fact that I have a running
> > system built around the decisions I made when I intially built it
> > (using Gentus --- a tweaked RH). I don't look forward to spending the
> > time to make the switch. My expectation is that trying to install
> > another distro over the top of RH will leave me with a mess of stuff
> > in differing locations, which I will never get cleaned up. I think I'd
> > be better of waiting until I can build a new machine.
> >

> Agreed on all of this.  Unless you've got spare partitions to build a
> new system on the side, it's probably better not to mess up your running
> system.  With gentoo or LFS (and I'm sure a few others), however, you
> can build a system in a spare partition in chroot mode without much
> interferance for your running system, as long as you have the cpu power
> and the bandwidth for downloads.

Well, I have few spare gigs of disk space, about 28 or so. It's sorta
spread around, but I could easily create a container file, mount it via
loopback, and build on that. Or try my hand at parted (which I've never
done), although that makes me a bit woozy as I'm not up to par with
backups. Using the container file sounds a bit safer. Now I'm starting to
wonder if I could mess with that, even to the point of trying the kernel
with User-Mode Linux -- hmm, maybe even Xnest? I'll have to cogitate on
that notion. Thanks for mentioning it.

jed

--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl