[CLUE-Tech] Scalable Vector Graphics on Linux?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Mar 4 17:09:13 MST 2003

Hi Folks.

I'm still plugging away on RH cleanup here. It's been way to long since I
did one of these exercises -- I have *.rpmnew and *.rpmorig files all over
the place. I'm tempted to write a Perl script to run through all of them,
and if a diff between {pkg}.rpm[new|orig] shows no differences, just
delete them. But then I'd miss out on the fun of discovering interesting
things like what the xinetd chargen function does. ;-)

However, on one of the tangents this little task has taken me on, I've
discovered that RH (or somebody) has used Adobe Illustrator to make SVG
files for some of the screens (such as the gdm login screen background).
Ignoring the question of why these open-source types aren't using
open-source tools for this, my question is which open-source proggy would
be good for manipulating them.

I've found:
  http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net/
  http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/
  http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/frontline/

DMOZ (open directory) lists this:
  http://qfsm.sourceforge.net/about.html
but I don't think it's a graphics program, however it sounds kinda nifty
for something.

Does anyone have any experience using SVG (particularly creating) under
Linux? Any tips?

TIA
jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl