[CLUE-Tech] Scalable Vector Graphics on Linux?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Mar 4 19:41:57 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 18:24, mgushee at havenrock.com wrote:
> On 4 Mar 2003 at 17:09, Jed S. Baer wrote:
>
> > However, on one of the tangents this little task has taken me on, I've
> > discovered that RH (or somebody) has used Adobe Illustrator to make SVG
> > files for some of the screens (such as the gdm login screen background).
> > Ignoring the question of why these open-source types aren't using
> > open-source tools for this,
>
> Ugh. I don't envy you. Bein' as SVG is XML, which makes it kinda my
> specialty, I periodically run around the net checking out various SVG
> tools. And I have to say the general state of the art is mediocre at
> best. Adobe's tools seem to be better than most--not surprising since
> they were the most influential vendor in developing the SVG spec--but
> are still a ways from perfect.
>
> > I've found:
> >   http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net/
> >   http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/
> >   http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/frontline/
>
> Yeah. I've heard of these but haven't tried them. Other tools I know
> of:
>
>   Sketch    http://sketch.sourceforge.net/
>     A Python-based, Corel Draw-esque drawing program. Worth having
>     for general use, but its SVG support is still fairly primitive.
>   OpenOrifice
>     I believe the drawing program can export but not import SVG. But
>     possibly you could get by with converting the original to EPS,
>     editing it in OO, and exporting back to SVG.
>   Amaya    http://www.w3.org/
>     They claim you can edit SVG with it, but I have never been able
>     to figure out how the %@#&*() to make it do that--and it
>     sometimes crashes when I try to *view* SVG.
>   KIllustrator ?
>
> Or maybe you could convert to Fig format using ... I don't know,
> there must be some tool to do that, edit in XFig, then convert back
> to SVG. Or if you're brave, you could just open the damn thing up in
> Vim and edit it as text. After all, SVG is just an XML dialect.

How about ImageMagick?  As "man ImageMagick" shows (as of v5.4.7), it
can read and write SVG files.  It seems that it currently doesn't
support conversion of raster-based images to SVG format but the
conversion of SVG to raster:

  wget http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/images/struct/grouping01.svg
  convert grouping01.svg grouping01.png

does work.  And ImageMagick does have a (primitive?) set of image
editing commands.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483