[CLUE-Tech] KDE/Gnome is crashing for no reason...

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Mar 7 11:18:23 MST 2003

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 11:00:08 -0700
mgushee at havenrock.com wrote:

> On 7 Mar 2003 at 1:57, Solid D wrote:
>
> > I can't seem to run anything for more the 20mins
> > without a crash.  It seems everytime I run mozilla or
> > Konqueror or a few games I have a crash in 20mins or a
> > freeze up.  What is this?  A buggy xfree86 with 3d
> > support?
>
> You might want to describe your problem a little more precisely. What
> does a "crash" consist of, exactly?

The best first step I've ever found for stuff like this is to run the
program from the command line, and capture stdout and stderr:

  /usr/bin/mozilla > mozilla.log 2>&1 &

In fact, for some programs, I mostly do that as a matter of course,
especially if  I want to set certain options all the time. I just create a
shell script containing my preferred invocation, and make that script my
"launcher".

Of course, this assumes it's _that_ program which is the problem, which
might in fact be the case. But, you might get lucky too, and the program
might catch something which is a side effect.

The other thing to do is look in your X log file. Don't ask me where to
find that, because I redirect stdout and stderr for X too. Sometimes,
life's simpler when you don't use gdm|kdm|xdm. ;-)

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl