[CLUE-Tech] Terminal Crash Madness!

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Mar 7 19:58:49 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 19:19, Collins Richey wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:57:13 -0700
> "Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com> wrote:
>
> > On 07 Mar 2003 17:35:50 -0700
> > Chris Terry <tuba_man at attbi.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry, but I've got an addition (since it just happened again).  About
> > > once every half an hour my screen blinks like it's changing video modes,
> > > and then comes back normal.  Anyone else ever experience this?
> >
> > Yep, ever since I upgraded to RH8.0. I think there must be something funky
> > in XFree, because I'm also experiencing some strangness with keyboard and
> > mouse event handling, such as holding the shift key while executing
> > multiple arrow or mouse movements.
>
> I haven't used it personally, but I've never heard any good reports about RH 8.0 - lots of flakiness out there.

Hi Collins,

Heres a data point for you: I'm running KRUD 8.0 (which is essentially
identical to RH 8.0) and am quite pleased with it.  Its loaded on my
laptop (ThinkPad A22p) and on a few servers and equipment controllers in
our lab.  Its been both solid as a server and a better development
platform (mostly for C/C++/PERL/shell/FORTRAN/MatLAB/LabVIEW development
and use for scientific computing) than the Red Hat 7.x series (largely
due to the improved GCC 3.2 included).

But hey, don't let your total lack of experience be an impediment to
providing a review.

Ed

ps - I don't like to upgrade systems.  I prefer to backup all data
     and custom configurations (for my purposes, thats the entire
     contents of /etc and /home), do a fresh install, and then
     re-load the /home directory and make the tweaks to the config
     files in /etc.  While this does take a bit longer, it also
     does a *great* job of removing cruft and, in my experience,
     makes for a more stable whole.  I'm always a bit suspicious
     of complaints that people have when they upgrade from one
     major RH series to another (eg. 7.x -=> 8.x) due to the build-
     up of outdated configs, etc.

     But as always, YMMV.

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483