[CLUE-Tech] Linux crashing Mystery Solved...

Solid D skitzot33 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 03:29:30 MST 2003

Hello, I'm the one who had the problem with x crashing
(kde/gnome mainly).  I found out the problem.  It's
seems I was useing an Xfree86 with not so stable 3d
hardware acelleration, which it says packed away in
some readme, deep insides Mandrakes distro.  Mainly it
says that this version of Xfree86 may not work
properly with all cards, lovely, no mention was on the
install screen about it. S lo and behold, when I
install the other "stable" Xfree86, the one without 3d
hardware acelleration, I get perfect, flawless
performance.  Now I do get the occasional program
crash every now and then, but I'm happy to report that
kde is standing in the aftermath, unharmed.  Thanks to
all who helped and especially that one guy that
suggested I try a different xfree86..