[CLUE-Tech] Sound Card for Mandrake 9.0 - 9.1 - "lsmod" outputs

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Mar 12 18:59:11 MST 2003

Joe Linux wrote:
> Here is comparison of the "lsmod" output for the two systems.  Basically
> Knoppix contains the following six lines relating to my sound card which
> does work in Knoppix. The Mandrake "lsmod" output contains no such lines.
> Knoppix Lines:
> awe_wave              155520   0 (unused)
> sb                      7764   0
> sb_lib                 33358   0 [sb]
> uart401                 6020   0 [sb_lib]
> sound                  54572   0 [awe_wave sb_lib uart401]
> soundcore               3396   6 [sb_lib sound]
>
> As for the /etc/modules.conf file, It is extensive in Knoppix and
> minimal in Mandrake:  I will send that comparison in a following message.

There is your answer.  If Mandrake doesn't load the modules you get no
sound.  Knoppix doesn't have anything is modules.conf, and /etc/modutils
is a Debian way to build that file.  So it won't show you anything more.

You can look in /etc/modules which lists modules loaded at boot.  If
that is not helpful Knoppix is probably loading the modules in its
autoprobe process.  Don't know how that works but shouldn't be hard to
figure out.

On Mandrake, try doing "modprobe sb".  That should get all the drivers
loaded.  I don't know what to do if your KDE/Gnome doesn't know how to
use the sound card after that.  One of the Mandrake users can tell you
how to get the sb module loaded automatically on boot.