[CLUE-Tech] New Distro: ArkLinux

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier clue at dissociatedpress.net
Sat Mar 15 14:58:31 MST 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 12:24, Joe Linux wrote:
> I think Bernhard "Bero" Rosenkraenzer) goals are good ones.  It sounds
> like the sort of distro I would be interested in.  At some point the
> "market" is going to be over saturated.

I think we've reached that point years ago... Hell, we've got:
Red Hat
SuSE
Mandrake
Debian
Slackware
Xandros
Lindows
Yellow Dog
Sun Linux
Knoppix
SCO (gag)
TurboLinux
EnGarde
LibraNet

And a slew of others, check the LWN List:

http://old.lwn.net/Distributions/

There's nothing wrong with it - I think the variety is great, and every
now and again something like Knoppix pops up that's insanely great and
useful.. but the market is definitely saturated.

Right now I'm using five different distros: KRUD (Red Hat), Mandrake,
SuSE, Debian and Slackware. (Yes, I DO have too many computers, thanks
for asking...) I kind of feel that I have to keep the five major systems
around so that I can write about "Linux" without being distro-centric.
And I use Knoppix to test new machines and as a portable distro. I hear
great things about Gentoo, but I've been too busy to try it.

It's nice having choices, though, isn't it? Much better than the "Ve haf
vays of makink you use XP" attitude from Redmond.

Best,

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier