[CLUE-Tech] New Distro: ArkLinux

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Mar 15 15:49:57 MST 2003

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:14:16 -1000
Joe Linux <joelinux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I don't think we are over saturated with good "desktop" distros, but we
> are over saturated with too many distros that have some nagging problem
> that prevents average people from easily using them .  Which brings up
> the question:  How do you add a button to the KDE 3.1 taskbar?  I know
> you can drag something off the menu, but when you choose something like
> "add button launcher' it only gives the choice of picking from the menu
> again.  Then I tried to copy an existing button and edit it, but then my
>
> changes don't really stick.  Is this a Mandrake 9.1 thing or what?  It
> should be easier to add your own generic button to the task bar.  Any
> solution would be greatly appreciated because this is one of the primary
>
> reasons I never use KDE and stick with ICEwm.  With ICE, I'm in the
> driver's seat.  I can do it, and it sticks.

I found a really kludgy way to do this. On the "desktop" (i.e. root
window), provide you have desktop icons enabled, you can click
(configurable which button, but I think right is the default) and get a
context menu which allows you to create a launcher icon. Once you've done
that, you can drag it onto the KDE taskbar, which will copy (not move) it
there. Then you delete the desktop icon you just created. Note this is
under RH8.0. I have no idea if it's the normal KDE behavior.

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl