[CLUE-Tech] fonts with Red Hat 8.0

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Mar 17 14:13:25 MST 2003

>>>>> "Mike" == Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> writes:

Mike> I recently installed Red Hat 8.0 on a server without installing
Mike> X.  I just want command line only, and I think that may have had
Mike> something to do with my fonts being screwed up. Then again, I

Nope, they would be wrong in anything except konsole and
gnome-terminal.

The problem is that 8.0 defaults to UTF8 support. Only gnome-terminal
and konsole support UTF encoding, so everything else looks weird.

export LANG=en_US

and run your command again and it should work ok at display.
To make that change effective system wide, edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n
and change the LANG to en_US instead of en_US.UTF-8.

Mike> ...snip...

Mike> I obviously have a very hard time reading this.  I've been using
Mike> the same ssh client on windows for years to work on my linux
Mike> boxen.  The program I use is called Secure CRT.  So, my question
Mike> is - is this font problem more likely related to a linux
Mike> setting, or a setting with my ssh client?

it's the shell trying to send you utf8 characters and your ssh session
not understanding them. ;(

The LANG setting should fix it. ;)

Mike>                                 -Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Mike> mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com