[CLUE-Tech] Can I do this with samba?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat May 10 12:33:05 MDT 2003

On Sat, 10 May 2003 11:59:13 -0600
Jeffery Cann <fabian at jefferycann.com> wrote:

> With samba, I have only accessed UNIX and Linux boxes from a Windows
> machine.  I want to go the opposite way for print services.

Hmmm, maybe smbfs? Just guessing here.

> From Linux (I use CUPS for printer services), I want to print to a
> printer running on an NT server.  The printer is a Xerox copier / laser
> printer and is not supported by Linux.

I'm not certain you're getting anything here. The unsupported problem
would be a driver issue, no? IOW, it sounds like you're wanting to somehow
get access to the drivers on the Windoze box -- how would your linux apps
talk to them (at the API level)? Or are you looking for a way to spit out
postscript on the linux end, and there's a Windoze driver that will
recognize postscript input? I think this is going to be a problem, even if
you can find a way to queue output to the windoze spooler. If Linux can't
produce output in the printer's language, it won't do you any good to send
it.

jed

--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl