[CLUE-Tech] email domain name

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue May 13 16:14:06 MDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 16:44, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Here's a dumb question... how do I configure the outgoing email to use the
> appropriate domain name?  I set up my host name in the basic places, so
> that other machines recognize it, however email still gets sent as
> @localhost.localdomain.  Where do you change this specifically for email?

Depends on your MTA (Mail Transfer Agent).  For sendmail, you can fake
your domain by editing the Masquerade rule:

DM mynetwork.domain

Now all outbound email will look like it comes from this domain.  This
works well if you send email from home (like if you have a broadband
connection) but have a colocated server to which all your email goes and
that you just IMAP to get your mail.

I can't remember if this is all you have to edit - its been a while
since I had to modify this configuration.  Hopefully this hasn't changed
much with recent Sendmail updates.

If you use some other MTA you'll have to dig around about how to set
your masquerading.

Note:  this is only for masquerading.  If you really are that domain,
it's probably different, but I don't know what the difference is.
Sorry.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |  Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, cuz,
The Graphics Muse           |  like, you're crunchy and taste good with