[CLUE-Tech] better ogg sound quality

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Fri May 30 08:13:43 MDT 2003

On 05-28 21:06, Jeffery Cann wrote:
> Warning:  newbie @ linux sound
>
> I have been using grip to rip CDs into ogg vorbis format.  For certain types
> of music, the reproduction has a lot of distortion.  I am using grip
> (cdparanoia) to rip the CD and oggenc to encode the rip'd wav files.  I also
> tried cdda2wav and the results were similar.
>
> Here's the oggenc command line specified in grip:
>
> -o %m -a "%a" -l "%d" -c "genre=%G" -b "%b" -d "%y" -N "%t" -t "%n" %w
>
> Most of these values have to do with track, title, etc. and the values of "%x"
> are specified by dialog boxes in the grip gui.
>
> The -b specifies the bit rate.  I am under the misconception that a higher bit
> rate = better sound reproduction.  I have tried encoding the same song at 4
> different bit rates, from 128 to 387 kbps - all sound similar and have the
> same distortions.
>
> BTW - I can play the CD through the same speakers as the ogg file is played
> and there is no distortion, so I can rule out speakers / sound card as the
> source
>
> So, how can I get better quality?  Is my rip from the CD the problem?  It
> seems likely since the different encoding bit rate didn't seem to affect
> things too much (the higher rates do sound better, but the distortion is
> always there).
>
> Maybe I should dispense with Grip and do it on the command line?
>
> I'm open to suggestions.

Jeff,

Are you sure that digital audio extraction on your drive is supported? I
know some rippers will resort to analog if the drive does not support it. In
my experience, analog rips sound like crap. I'm not sure what cdda2wav does
in this case. Can you resort to the command line, just rip a track, and play
the resulting wav? If that's crappy, it's not encoding that is your problem.

Zonker might be on to something with the copy-protection scheme. Do you have
a green marker? ;)

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
If we could sell our experiences for what they cost us we'd be millionaires.
-Abigail Van Baren