Got it! (was Re: [CLUE-Tech] X resolution)

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Fri May 30 19:29:38 MDT 2003

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 02:58:58PM -0600, Michael Robbert wrote:

> You are defnining a 24 bit color depth which should work with your
> memory, but I think that it is actually using 32 bits per pixel which
> will go over your actual memory. For right now I'd try to set your
> config to use a Depth of 16 bits and see if that works. If it does then
> try to find out how to make 24 bits only use 24 bits.

Okay, here's what I found out (mostly just regurgitating the docs
here--I don't really understand this):

Some video cards, including mine, can use either a packed 24-bit or a
sparse 32-bit framebuffer layout. Evidently my card tries to use 32 by
default, which accounts for X using 32 bits for 24-bit color. The
setting that controls this is

  -fbbpp

on the command line, or

  DefaultFbBpp

in XF86Config. So I put

  DefaultFbBpp  24

in my config, and now I have 1280x1024 with 24-bit color. Yee-haw!

Many thanks to those who helped. Now if somebody can just explain to me
the significance of the framebuffer layout, I'll be happy!

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)