[CLUE-Tech] Updating RH9

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Mon Nov 3 08:35:08 MST 2003

I just want to briefly step up on a soapbox.  This isn't directed at
Andrew or anyone specifically, it's just an observation that I thought
I'd fork onto the thread.

There are typically two kinds of Red Hat posts on this and other Linux
lists:

1) Red Hat are being overly restrictive and money-grubbing with their
   Enterprise products.  They're even abandoning the hobbyist market,
   who were their staunchest and most loyal supporters.

2) How can I avoid paying Red Hat for updates?

As IT people, we are generally in the upper tiers of the middle-class income
bracket.  Even in this economy, those of us fortunate enough to be working
are doing pretty well. (if you're a student or unemployed, or are in a
very tight financial situation, then obviously this doesn't apply.)

A RHN account is $60/year.  That's much less than you pay for cable, DSL,
and even dialup.  It's about the cost of a decent dinner and movie for two.
And it's much much less than the cost of Windows XP and all it's assorted
happiness.

As I see it, the writing is on the wall for hobbyists using Red Hat.  If
hobbyists are not supporting Red Hat financially, then the day will come
when even your gratis account is gone.  Eventually, they'll abandon the
hobbyist distro for good.

To which you may reply, "fine, I'll roll my own RPMs, or use Debian or SuSe,
etc."  But that would be missing the point.  There's obviously a reason
you're using Red Hat.  You obviously find some value in it, or you'd be
using a different distro already.  So why not continue to support that
effort?  Why not show Red Hat that there really is a "small consumer"
market for their products, before they completely abandon it for the
enterprise?

Okay, stepping off soap box now.  Hey, how about that Darl Mcbride, is he
a big poopy head, or what? :)

Regards,
Kirk