[CLUE-Tech] RH 9.0 network issue

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.net
Tue Nov 4 11:07:38 MST 2003

I have noticed something very odd on my laptop recently and wondered if
anyone else has come across this.  For reference, RH 9.0 with
2.4.20-20.9 kernel on a ThinkPad A21p.

I have two different networks running, ethernet to a DSL with a static
IP address which is default, and a WiFi for a local private network not
on the net.  What I am noticing over a period of time is that the
/etc/resolv.conf file is being overwritten to something else instead of
the defaults for the DSL.  I am manually configuring things via command
line (not using RH's "neat" here) as well.  A standard set to get this
up and running are as follows:

# ifconfig eth1 10.0.1.100		; WiFi here
# route add 10.0.1.0 gw 10.0.1.1
# ifconfig eth0 68.x.x.x netmask 255.255.255.192 ; Ethernet
# route add default gw 68.x.x.gw
# cp -f /etc/resolv.conf.dsl /etc/resolv.conf

Here the /etc/resolv.conf.dsl has the DNS entries for the DSL.

Over time of this being up, the /etc/resolv.conf file become blank or
associates the DNS with the gateway for the WiFi (the WAP does not do
DHCP for reference).  The time frame has varied from an hour to most of
the day (i.e., pretty random).

Open to insight here.  TIA.

--- Crawford
--