[CLUE-Tech] What are your cablemodem/dsl download speeds?

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 9 07:53:55 MST 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 20:56:32 -0700 Roger Frank <rfrank at rfrank.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 08 November 2003 20:27, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> > I'm curious -- does anyone know of a good way to determine upload
> > speeds?
>
> I use the speed tests available for free at
>    www.dslreports.com/stest
>
> I just ran a test just now and got 1.629 megabits/sec download
> and 247 kbits/sec upload.  That's low for this connection -- I've
> often been over 4 mbps down.  Cable modem, Comcast.

Thanks for posting the url.

I get almost identical results on comcast (SE Aurora location).

As I posted earlier, the principal limiting factor (IMHO) is not the cable or
interference from other users clogging the pipe, but rather the capabilities of
the server you select for download.  If you try any of the RedHat mirrors or
KNOPPIX mirrors, for example, you will be luck to get 40kb/s, usually about
19kb/s.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the