[CLUE-Tech] User Mount of Encrypted Volumes vi Loopback

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Nov 24 22:18:35 MST 2003

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:35:03 -0700
Match Grun <match at dimensional.com> wrote:

> > I also messed around with also adding options in fstab for the
> > encryption pieces and loopback, and these all work just fine when
> > mounting as root.
> >

> Jed,
>
> Maybe you should mount this as yourself somewhere in your home
> directory. Don't use fstab, but your .bashrc script to perform the
> mount. You own the directory and also the mount point so you should not
> have a permissions problem. This is a similar trick that xfsamba uses to
> mount smb shares in a users home directory.

Oh, but I did. Prior to messing about with fstab, I tried just mounting it
-- standard procedure, such as what you'd use to verify an ISO image
before burning it. Again, root can do it, ordinary user can't.

I turned to fstab, only because I wanted to experiment with whether any
options might have an effect.

Also note that I'm not trying to mount an encrypted home directory. Nor am
I trying to necessarily automate anything. Automating anything means that
there's someplace where the passphrase is stored. I haven't really looked
into the details of pam_mount, for example, but in order for it to work,
it has to store that info someplace.

jed