[CLUE-Tech] User Mount of Encrypted Volumes vi Loopback

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Nov 25 13:20:20 MST 2003

Match Grun wrote:
[...]
> Maybe you should mount this as yourself somewhere in your home
> directory. Don't use fstab, but your .bashrc script to perform the
> mount. You own the directory and also the mount point so you should not
> have a permissions problem. This is a similar trick that xfsamba uses to
> mount smb shares in a users home directory.

You'd own the file and the mount point, and Keith has suggested owning
the loop device too.  Who owns the root inode of the encrypted
filesystem?  I guess that inside the file is a long string of
ciphertext, so the root inode is inside that.

It's the root inode that controlls the directory permissions of the
mount point when the fs is mounted, so maybe that's the problem.  Just a
guess though, I'm looking forward to hearing the solution.