[CLUE-Tech] User Mount of Encrypted Volumes vi Loopback

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Nov 26 20:57:16 MST 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:10:03 -0700
David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:

> David Anselmi wrote:
> [...]
> > The losetup bit doesn't seem right.
>
> Now that I think about it, the encryption piece probably changes enough
> that what I posted doesn't matter.  So never mind.

Well, you do need the losetup part to use the encrypted loopback device,
so yes.

But, nonetheless, your comments, and Zonker's, are informative. I note,
again (sigh) that there's always at least one step in the process
requiring root.

And, I can't account for Keith's success, as I haven't been able to
replicate it using a user-owned loopback device.

So, my idea of using an encrypted filesystem as a means of allowing any
user to setup encrypted storage of arbitrary data seems at a dead end, at
least for the moment. But it's brought up some interesting questions.

Thanks, everyone, for the input though.
jed