[CLUE-Tech] Inkjet vs Dye-sublimation photo printing?

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Sun Nov 30 21:02:26 MST 2003

Greetings.

I'm looking at photo printers.  Has anyone compared output between photo
printers that use inkjet vs dye-sublimation technology?  My understanding is
that the sublimation process produces better results.

I'm looking at two different printers, the HP 245 and the Canon CP 300.  The
HP 245 sounds like it has better peripheral support, better printer
utilities, will accept my xD-Picture card directly.  But, it is an inkjet
printer (heated), so I understand dithering is a possible issue.

OTH - The Canon uses dye-sublimation technique to apply color.
HowStuffWorks.com says that this technique produces better quality and prints
will last longer.  But, you cannot print directly from digital media (unless
you have a Canon camera or others which support the new

Finally, I have heard many rants about Canon products.  Some folks on Amazon
have said they love the CP300 quality.  I'm wondering if the (purported)
improved sublimation printing is worth forgoing the additional HP features?

I appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks
Jeff
--
http://isuma.org/